Ready to build your portfolio with options? Get step-by-step instructions and helpful tips on placing an option trade.
- You can also place a trade through the ellipses menu on Holdings, Watch list, Quote list or the option chain in Quotes & Research.
- Track individual option quotes in Quote lists or Watch lists.
- Use "Symbol Search" to find your symbol, if needed.
- Once you select a symbol, you’ll get a quote you can refresh throughout the trading steps.
- Select information icons for explanations of different order types.
- Consider using a Limit order, especially when placing a trade outside market hours.
- If you select the US market but choose to pay from the Canadian dollar component of your brokerage account, foreign exchange rates will apply.
- Planning on making multiple trades? Save your trading password for the current session and use it later.
Confirm the status of your order
- Set up fill alerts to be notified by email once your trade has been completed.
- The settlement period for options is the transaction date plus one business day (T+1).
- You can change or cancel any open or unfilled portion of a partially filled order except for market orders. Trade orders with a status of pending can be cancelled but cannot be changed.
- Select the expand button for more options and details of your order.