Accessibility Quick Links
Learn Stock and Trading Tutorials
Curious about trading but don’t know where to start? Take a look at our step-by-step guide to placing a stock or exchange traded fund (ETF) trade.
Placing a stock or ETF trade order
- You can also place a trade order directly from “Account Holdings” through the ellipses menu, or by using the “Trade” link anywhere in Quotes and Research.
- Take advantage of the wide range of resources available to help you select the security that meets your investment objectives. Check out our Stock Centre guide and ETF Centre guide.
- Once you select a symbol, you’ll get a quote you can refresh throughout the trading steps.
- If you're selling a security, simply choose from the dropdown list of securities you currently own.
- Make sure you’ve chosen the correct market for your trade order when selecting the security for your order.
- Select information icons for explanations of different order types.
- Consider using a Limit order, especially when placing a trade outside market hours.
- If you're trading in the US market but choose to pay from the Canadian dollar component of your brokerage account, foreign exchange rates will apply.
- Planning on making multiple trades? Save your trading password for the current session and use it later.
Confirm the status of your trade order
- Set up fill alerts to be notified by email once your trade has been completed.
- The standard settlement period for stocks and ETFs trades is the transaction date plus 2 business days (T+2).
- You can change or cancel any open or unfilled portion of a partially filled order. Trade orders with a status of pending can be cancelled but cannot be changed. Select the expand button for more options and details of your order.